We’re experiencing southwestern goodness in patty form, and we want to share the yumminess! Amazingly delicious, vibrant, and packed with flavor, these Confetti Cornmeal Cakes are healthy, satisfying, and nothing short of amazing! These patties are beautifully seasoned and bursting with sweet bell peppers, spicy jalapeños, zesty red onions, tasty corn, hearty black beans, and baked to perfection. These cornmeal cakes boast a crunchy exterior, tender cornmeal interior and served with your favorite sauce, makes for an amazing dinner that will have the whole family running to the table.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free and no highly processed ingredients.
Dry Cornmeal Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- Pinch chipotle powder
Wet Cornmeal Cake Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon unsweetened plain plant milk
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon tahini (or almond butter) *
Other Stirred-In Ingredients:
- ¼ cup finely diced red bell peppers
- 2 Tablespoons finely diced jalapeno peppers
- 3 Tablespoons finely diced red onions
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup black beans
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add the unsweetened plain plant milk and the apple cider vinegar into a small bowl, mix to combine, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place all the Dry Cornmeal Cake Ingredients and Spice/Herb Ingredients into a food processor, quick pulse twice, then place all the Wet Cornmeal Cake Ingredients into the food processor (including the milk/vinegar mix), and process until everything is just combined. Do not over-process. Place the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add in the Other Stirred-In Ingredients to the cornmeal batter, mix by hand to evenly distribute.
- Divide into 6 equal portions (about 1/3 cup), form into a firm patty. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 4 minutes to set up. Serve with our some of our favorite sauces like: Pickled Jalapeño Cilantro Sauce or Southwestern Sauce or both.
*Tahini or Almond Butter: Bring to room temperature or microwave for a few seconds to warm it up (not hot, just warm or room temperature) so it is not thick and clumpy.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Makes: 6 cornmeal cakes
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days. Freezes well.