Healthy and delicious, vegan Baked Falafel is perfect for stuffing in pita pockets or creating scrumptious falafel bowls. Super tasty and oh so yummy, they are sure to please everyone in the family, making oven-baked falafels a wonderful Whole Food Plant Based flavorful dish. Vegan, oil free, gluten free, sugar free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 2 – 15 oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, packed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, packed
- 1 large white onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper (+/- to taste)
Easy Tahini Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place the rinsed and drained chickpeas into a food process. Process thoroughly until the chickpeas are finely ground, but not mush. Remove them and place them in a large bowl.
- Next add the parsley and cilantro into the food processor. Process until finely ground, but do not over process as this will turn the parsley bitter. Fine chop, but not overly processed. Remove them and add them to the large bowl with the chickpeas.
- Lastly add the onion (quartered) and jalapeno pepper (seeded) into the food processor and process until finely ground. Remove them and place them into the bowl with the ground chickpeas, parsley and cilantro.
- Finally, add all the remaining falafel ingredients to the bowl. Mix well.
- Line a 14 x 20 baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a cookie scoop and roll up the mixture into a ball of the mixture then place on the baking sheet. The falafel mixture is wet so work carefully. You will then flatten the mixture into a thick disk. The disk dimensions are 2 inches in diameter by ½ to ¾ inch thick.
- Note: If using a traditional falafel maker, scoop the mixture into the falafel maker, then make a very slight mound in the center, push on the lever and then slide the falafel off at an approx. 25-degree angle and drop onto the baking sheet. The disk dimensions are 2 inches in diameter by ½ to ¾ inch thick. This recipe makes 22 to 24 falafel.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take the baking sheet out of the oven and carefully flip them all over. Bake on the 2nd side for another 10 minutes until nicely browned.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the oven. Serve warm on a salad, in a pita or with tahini sauce or hummus.
Easy Tahini Sauce Instructions.
- Place all the Tahini Sauce ingredients into a small bowl, whisk well to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Add more water if you would like a thinner constancy.
*Falafel Maker: We love our falafel maker. It really helps making the perfect falafel patty.