This easy, oil-free Apple Walnut Strudel Roll-Ups recipe is packed with healthy goodness and makes for a perfect fall dessert.
- 4 cups apples, peeled, small 3/8-inch dice *
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (+/-) *
- Large pinch nutmeg (optional) *
- Pinch clove (optional) *
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Pinch sea salt *
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (+/-) *
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (+/-) *
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) *
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 8 almond flour tortilla shells *
Optional Toppings Ingredients:
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon hot tap water
- Finely chopped walnuts
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Use center rack placement.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Core, peel and dice the apples into 3/8-inch cubes, place in a bowl as you are cubing them and splash with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet (or similarly large nonstick skillet) add the small diced apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, sea salt and water. Stir well to evenly distribute the ingredients. Sauté over medium-high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the apples are perfectly tender.
- Stir in the walnuts and raisins, stir for several minutes to heat the walnuts and raisins through.
- Make the cornstarch slurry by placing the cornstarch in a small bowl, then adding the water and stirring until perfectly smooth.
- Increase the heat slightly and add the cornstarch slurry, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened into a sticky syrup-like consistency. Cook for several minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from the stove to slightly cool.
- Assemble the rolls: Lay the tortilla out flat, then place 1/8th (approximately ¼ to 1/3 cup) of the mixture in the middle of the tortilla, creating a log of the mixture, then roll it up. Place onto a flat surface, seam side down. Continue until the remaining tortillas are made.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of pure maple syrup into a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon of hot tap water, mix well, then brush the tops of each of the strudel rollups with the maple syrup mixture, then sprinkle with the finely chopped walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon, then carefully move to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (see notes)
- Place into a preheated 375 F oven bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the tortillas are crisp. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving warm.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 8 rolls