Flavorful, healthy, and ultra-comforting, this oil free Zucchini Chickpea Curry is brimming with curry yumminess and plant-based ingredients.
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice *
- 4 cups zucchini, unpeeled, sliced *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup light coconut milk (from can) *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed *
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder *
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Steamed rice
- Baked potato
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions and zucchini, sauté over medium-high heat until the veggies begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, ginger, and Spice/Herb Mix, sauté for 30 seconds, just to allow the spices to release their fragrance, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the zucchini reaches the desired tenderness, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking/burning.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Serve with steamed rice (or over a baked potato) and freshly chopped cilantro.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 6 (makes 6 cups)