Start your day/afternoon/evening off right with this ultra-satisfying veggie packed sunshine in a bowl. Brimming with rainbow veggies, this savory Veggie Breakfast Scramble is flavorful, nourishing, and sure to put a smile on your face. Wholesome ingredients like sweet bell peppers, tasty zucchini, hearty cauliflower, zesty onions, aromatic garlic, protein-packed chickpeas, and earthy spinach come together in the most delightful way. Serve this healthy vegan scramble over toast, rice, potatoes or in a wrap for an amazing meal.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell peppers, small dice
- 1 to 1 ½ cups zucchini, small dice
- 3 cups cauliflower, tiny florets *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium tamari *
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable broth *
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 – 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach (or kale), chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- ¾ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves *
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Hot Sauce
- Taco shells/tortillas
- Potatoes (boiled, roasted, etc)
- Black salt powder (kala namak) *
- Place the Herb/Spice Ingredients in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined large skillet, add the onions, red bell peppers, zucchini and cauliflower, sauté over medium heat-high until they begin to soften, approximately 7 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if the onions start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and the Herb/Spice mix and sauté, stirring constantly to release their fragrance, about one minute. Then add the tamari, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and chickpeas, sauté on medium-high for 7 to 8 minutes, then add the chopped spinach and sauté for 2 minutes or until the vegetables reach the desired tenderness.
- Test the flavors, add more spices, if necessary, to achieve the level of flavor you desire. Remove from the stove and allow to sit for 5 minutes or so to allow the flavors to marry. Serve it plain, on top of toast, over rice, in a veggie bowl, or in your favorite taco/tortilla shell, topped with some hot sauce. Sprinkle individual servings with black salt powder, if you enjoy “egg” flavors and a little sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
*Tiny Cauliflower Florets: For best results, cut the cauliflower florets into tiny florets.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Tamari:We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Dried Thyme Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. If you can’t find dried thyme leaves, you can use ground thyme, but use half the amount.
*Hot Sauce: We used Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce. Frank’s RedHot sauce can taste salty, if you plan to use it, perhaps scale back on the sea salt.
*Black Salt Powder (kala namak): We sprinkled black salt powder on individual servings right before serving. It has so much flavor and is very reminiscent of eggs. If you loved eggs in your former life (prior to being WFPB), then you will love black salt powder. We prefer the powder over the granules as you can get more flavor using less. You can find Black Salt Powder at most Mediterranean stores or you can order it from Amazon. If you have never tried it before, we suggest trying a small sample before placing on your serving. A little goes a long way.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.