Life without pasta… we never want to find out! And we are taking pasta to the max with this insanely flavorful, cozy, and delicious Vegan Veggie Tetrazzini with wholesome ingredients and total comfort food goodness! Packed with hearty mushrooms, zesty garlic, mixed veggies, and chewy spaghetti all bathed in a creamy, dreamy flavor packed sauce that is sure to knock your socks off. The whole family will be seated at the table in a flash!
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 10 to 12 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons GF flour (or flour of choice)*
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water (or broth)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables *
- 10 oz. spaghetti, cooked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Optional Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- ½ cup crushed baked tortillas (or bread crumbs) *
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt *
- Chopped flat leaf parsley
- Make the Crumb Topping – see recipe notes for instructions. If not using the Crumb Topping, skip this step.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk to combine, set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package direction, then drain and rinse thoroughly in cold water to cool the pasta. Rinse in cold water until all the pasta is cooled, shake off the excess water, then let the cooled pasta sit in a colander to drain until ready to use. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the mushrooms and tamari, sauté over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes to allow the mushrooms to release their water.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for one minute, then sprinkle the flour over the sautéed mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the Spice/Herb mix, sauté for one minute stirring constantly to allow the spices/herbs to release their fragrance, then add the water, broth, plant milk, and nutritional yeast, stir well, then bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer, stirring constantly to thicken the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add in the frozen vegetables, simmer for several more minutes, then add the cooked pasta. Fold the pasta into the sauce and heat until everything is well coated, evenly mixed and hot, approximately 2 minutes. Then remove the pot from the stove, cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes undisturbed. This will allow the pasta to absorb some of the sauce.
- Sprinkle about ¼ cup of the Crumb Topping over the top, reserve the rest for sprinkling over individual servings. Serve and enjoy!
*Optional Crumb Topping: We used 2 Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. We tore 2 Siete almond flour tortillas into 6ths, then placed them on a parchment lined baking sheet and baked in the oven until crisp; 350 F for approx. 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Keep a close eye on them as they tend to go from golden brown to over-browned quickly. Set aside to cool. Then placed them into a food processor and pulsed into crumbs, then placed them in a bowl. Add the remaining crumb topping ingredients into the bowl with the tortilla crumbs, whisk to combine. We then placed about ¼ of the mixture on top of the dish and used the rest for individual servings. The almond flour tortillas have a rich flavor that is reminiscent of Ritz crackers. You can also use bread crumbs in place of the almond flour tortillas.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Gluten Free Flour: We used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour blend. You can use any Whole Food Plant Based compliant flour that will provide a thickener to the sauce.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Dried Thyme Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. If you can’t find dried thyme leaves, you can use ground thyme, but use half the amount.
*Frozen Vegetables: We used Birds Eye Classic Frozen Mixed Vegetables consisting of the following: corn, pea, carrots, and green beans. If using a different variety of veggies (especially larger sized frozen veggies) adjust cooking time accordingly so that all your veggies warm through and get to your desired tenderness.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.
*Servings: 4 to 5