Beautifully rustic and comforting, this flavorful skillet meal is a dish of dreams. This healthy and utterly delicious Vegan Veggie Bean Cassoulet is coming in hot with a beautiful blend of savory spices, nourishing veggies, hearty beans with a tasty cornmeal topper! Earthy flavors with a hint of smoky goodness, this wholesome dish is sure to have everyone running back for seconds.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- ¾ cup carrots, small dice
- ¾ cup celery, small dice
- 1 small zucchini, small dice *
- 1 small yellow squash, small dice *
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth (we used Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth) *
- 1 ¼ cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium tamari * (see notes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon white miso *
- 1 – 15.5 oz. can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15.5 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (+ more for topping) *
- Large pinch rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Cornmeal Crust Ingredients:
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon almond flour (or flour of choice)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted almond butter
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the oven rack in middle, avoiding the lower oven rack placement.
- In a large oven safe ceramic/enamel lined skillet or similar skillet, add the diced onions, celery, carrots, zucchini and squash, sauté over medium heat about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next add the minced garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the Cornmeal Crust Ingredients. Stir to combine. Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove the skillet from the stove. Set aside while mixing the cornmeal crust.
- Place the dry Cornmeal Crust Ingredients into a bowl, whisk to combine, then add all the wet ingredients, stir to combine. Discard the bay leaf from the veggie/bean mixture, then gently place the cornmeal mixture on top of the bean skillet mixture making a small circle of cornmeal crust mixture in the middle. Sprinkle a tiny bit of thyme leaves over top of the cornmeal crust mixture.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for 22 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the cornmeal crust layer. If you want the topped browned a little more, then place under the broiler for a few minutes.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Zucchini/Squash: You can use any veggie or bean combination you like; however, note that the zucchini and squash give off water during baking creating a beautiful liquid. If you leave them out, then you may need to compensate by adding some additional veggie broth, (approx. an additional ¼ cup).
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Miso: We use Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also substitute with chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Dried Thyme Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. If you can’t find dried thyme leaves, you can use ground thyme, but use half the amount.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 5 servings.
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.