We are switching up our stew game with this soul-warming Vegan Two Lentil Potato Stew that is easy, delicious and satisfying. Tasty red and brown lentils, sweet bell peppers, hearty potatoes, and warm spices come together to create this soul satisfying dreamy stew that ensures that everyone in the family will run to the table.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery rib, small dice
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup vegetable broth *
- 3 cups water (or broth)
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dried brown lentils (or green lentils), picked through and rinsed
- ½ cup dried split red lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 4 medium Russet potatoes, skins on, quartered
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin *
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander *
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper *
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Chopped Cilantro
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large stockpot) add the diced onion, red bell pepper, celery, grated carrot, and sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften.
- Then add the finely minced garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, stir well and bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer until the lentils and potatoes are tender, approximately 50 to 60 minutes.
- Taste test the stew flavors approx. 10 minutes before it is done. You can adjust spices at this time.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients; however, this brand of vegetable stock does have a strong flavor so less broth is required when compared to the water ratio. We use a higher water to broth ratio because of this. If you use another brand of vegetable broth, then adjust the water/vegetable broth ratio accordingly. For example, if your vegetable broth brand is mellow and light, then perhaps use ½ cup of water and use 3 cups of vegetable broth.
*Spices: Cayenne pepper adds heat, but at the same time, it can sometimes overpower other spice flavors and it is often the first flavor that you taste. We love it. However, if you use less cayenne, then you may need to punch up the other spices to suit personal preferences.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 6
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.