Hearty, wholesome, and oh-so-satisfying, this oil-free Vegan Tex-Mex Cabbage Casserole is loaded with irresistible Tex-Mex flavors and nourishing veggies.
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 1 jalapeno, small dice
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup enchilada sauce (10 oz.) *
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter *
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
Sauce Spice/Herb Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder *
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 ½ cups crushed corn tortillas, divided
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Avocado chunks
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the Sauce Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well to combine, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, Dutch oven, or non-stick skillet, add the diced onions, jalapeno pepper, and bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften the veggies.
- Add the minced garlic and tomato paste, sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Then add the thinly sliced cabbage, and the remaining Base Ingredients (broth and water). Stir well, place the lid on the pan and cover and sauté/steam over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes to wilt the cabbage.
- In the meantime, place all the Sauce Ingredients and the Sauce Spice/Herb Mix into a bowl, whisk well to combine the ingredients, then place into the skillet. Mix well and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add the black beans, pinto beans, and corn, stir well, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Create a cornstarch slurry by combining the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl, whisk to remove any lumps, then add to the skillet.Increase the heat, stir to thicken. Cook for several minutes, then remove from the stove.
- Place the crisp corn tortillas into a plastic bag and crush/break them into small pieces by using your hands (or quickly pulsing in a food processor).
- Place 1 ½ cups of the crushed corn tortillas onto the bottom of a deep 9 x 13 casserole dish.Then add the cabbage skillet mixture, then sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of crushed tortillas on top. (Optional: Dot the top with pickled jalapeno slices).
- Place into a preheated 350 F oven and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.Serve and enjoy!
Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 6 to 8