Sweet, cinnamony, and comforting, this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Candied Pecan Topping is a classic holiday must have.
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes *
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk (+/-)
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (+/-) *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar) (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon molasses (optional) *
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons almond flour (optional) *
- ½ teaspoon baking powder *
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (+/-) *
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)*
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
Candied Pecan Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup pecan halves, rough chop
- ¼ cup maple sugar (or coconut sugar) *
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup *
- 1 Tablespoon hot tap water
- Pinch sea salt (+/-) *
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes (baking, steaming, or boiling). See blog notes for different methods. Allow them to slightly cool, then place into a large bowl and mash them well.
- Place all the remaining Base Ingredients into the bowl with the mashed sweet potatoes, mix until all the ingredients are evenly distributed, then place into a small casserole baking dish, set aside.
- Next place all the Candied Pecan Topping Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well to ensure all the pecans are coated and moist. Sprinkle the Candied Pecan Topping evenly over top the mashed sweet potato mixture.
- Place into a 350 F oven, bake for 40 minutes, uncovered.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.