Bringing all those amazing Southwestern flavors together in this delicious, hearty, and oil-free Southwestern Jackfruit.
Jackfruit Skillet Ingredients:
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] young jackfruit, drained, rinsed and shredded *
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon regular chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch chipotle powder
- 1 cup yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 red bell pepper, fine dice
- 1 green bell pepper, fine dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 – [ 14.5 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¾ teaspoon regular chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- Pinch coriander
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Pickled or fresh jalapeno slices
- Avocado, sliced or diced
- Baked potatoes
- Rice bowl
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit really well, then shred the jack fruit pieces with your hands by pulling them apart. Then place the shredded jackfruit into a nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté for several minutes to remove any liquids. Sprinkle the Jackfruit Skillet Spices over top and stir to coat the jackfruit. Continue to saute for several minutes until the jackfruit is toasted, dry, and nicely coated with spices. Then remove the jackfruit from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix, set aside.
- In the same nonstick skillet or large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, add the onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes until the onions are tender. (If needed to prevent sticking, add a splash of water).
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute, then add the Spice/Herb mix, , stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Then add the remaining Base Ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes.
- Then add the corn, and black beans, simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve over a baked potato, in a rice bowl, as nachos over tortilla chips, in a burrito, or in tacos with some freshly chopped cilantro, avocadoes, and/or pickled jalapenos (or fresh jalapenos).
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.