Easy to make and oh-so-flavorful, this oil-free Vegan “Salmon” Burger has got it going on: crispy, tender, zesty, and crazy delicious.
- ½ cup cooked and refrigerated brown rice *
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz. heart of palms (approx. 2 ½ logs), drained, rough chop *
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ cup panko crumbs *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning *
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- pinch t0 ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Dill Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup WFPB (vegan) mayonnaise *
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed (or fresh dill) (+/-)
- Toasted burger buns
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumber ribbons
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the cooked and refrigerated brown rice and oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 10 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Mix, pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well and sticks together.
- Form a large ball, then divide into 4 patties. Pick up each ball with slightly dampened hands and form a smooth ball, then flatten into about a ¾ to 1-inch thick patty and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all the patties are made. (See notes on burger formation)
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven (center rack) and bake for 15 minutes, then flip, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the Dill Sauce by placing all the Dill Sauce Ingredients into a small bowl, stir well to combine. Set aside (or refrigerate) until ready to serve.
- After the burgers are done, remove from the oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes to set up before serving on your favorite burger bun (or lettuce cup) with some lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumber ribbons, and a large dollop of the Dill Sauce.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 4 large patties