Hunkering down in the cozy chair with a big bowl of this comfort food is total happiness. This hearty and satisfying Vegan Salisbury Steak dish is brimming with delicious flavor. Sweet Vidalia onions, earthy mushrooms, protein-packed soy curls (or beans), aromatic spices and herbs all bathed in a deliciously rich brown gravy. Served over creamy mashed potatoes, this ultra-comforting dinner will have the whole family falling in love with the first bite.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup minced sweet onions *
- 2 Tablespoons reduced sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon GF flour (or flour of choice) *
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth *
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ cups soy curls (or 1 ½ cup cooked beans) *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- ½ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary (+/-) *
- Pinch dried rubbed sage (+/-)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Mashed potatoes
- Rehydrate the soy curls per package directions.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet/Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large stockpot) add the sliced cremini mushrooms, minced sweet onions, and tamari, sauté over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes to allow the mushrooms to release some of their water.
- Then add the minced garlic and tomato paste, and sauté for one minute, then sprinkle the flour and Spice/Herb mix over the mushrooms, onion, garlic and tomato paste, sauté for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, and nutritional yeast, stir well to combine, then increase the heat to a boil stirring constantly to allow the sauce to thicken, then immediately lower to simmer.
- Add the rehydrated soy curls, then simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Taste test and add additional seasoning to achieve the desired flavor
- Serve with mashed potatoes and top with a tiny sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
*Sweet Onions: We used a Vidalia onion, but any sweet yellow onion will work.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Dried Thyme Crushed Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. If you can’t find dried crushed thyme leaves, you can use ground thyme, but use half the amount.
*Rosemary: If using dried ground rosemary (powder), then use ½ the amount indicated in the recipe. Dried crushed rosemary is the whole rosemary leaves which are dried, then crushed. They are crushed but are not in a powder form.
*Soy Curls: You can substitute the soy curls for cooked beans, baked cubed tofu, or baked cubed tempeh and it will be equally tasty! If not using soy curls, skip step 1 and add in the beans, tofu, or tempeh in step 6.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.