Got to love classic rice krispie treats, and we are flipping this nostalgic treat with a healthy and wholesome twist that is sure to have you doing your happy dance. These delicious and comforting Healthy Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are brimming with chewy goodness that are perfect for school lunches, a quick snack at work, or for your next family holiday dessert table. They are sure to make your holiday dessert tray shine.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted, fine dice *
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup (+/-) *
- ½ cup unsweetened peanut butter *
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- 4 cups brown rice crisps cereal *
- 1/3 cup (mini, chunk, or regular) chocolate chips *
- Line a baking dish (or similar dish) with parchment paper width-wise with parchment paper hanging over the edge for easy removal later when the treats are ready to serve, set aside.
- Finely chop the Medjool dates by hand or place in a food processor, then place in a large stock pot with all the remaining Sauce Ingredients. Stir constantly over low heat until the mixture is melted together. Use the back of a rubber spatula to mash the chopped Medjool dates into the peanut butter/maple syrup mixture. There will be some visible pieces of dates in the mixture, that is fine. Mash them up as much as you can, approximately 3 to 4 minutes, stir well, then remove from stove.
- Immediately place the brown rice crisps cereal into the large pot with the hot sauce mixture and stir until the cereal is well coated and sticky. If adding chocolate chips, stir them in now. It’s OK if the chocolate chips start to melt.
- Dump the mixture into a parchment paper lined baking dish. Press the cereal mixture down firmly to form a cohesive bar, cover and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hour before serving. (see notes of refrigeration)
- Optional: After the treats have refrigerated for at least one hour. Score and cut the treats, then drizzle individual treats with melted chocolate, refrigerate to set the chocolate.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Medjool dates: If using another dried date other than Medjool dates, you may need to soak them first. Typically, Medjool dates are very soft. However, if you are using a different date, test the date by pinching it. If the date is very soft, gooey, and pliable, then you can just add them to the food processor to break them up (or chop by hand). If the dates are drier and stiff, then you will need to cover them with boiling water, and let stand for about 20 minutes to soften them up before adding the dates to the food processor (or chopping by hand).
*Organic Maple Syrup: You can use all Medjool dates if you prefer not to use a mixture of Medjool dates and maple syrup. We found that the combination of the two works best. If using all Medjool dates, then you will need to add a little water to basically make a sticky date syrup. We have not tried this substitution ourselves, but we believe it will work. Again, it will need to be refrigerated.
*Unsweetened Peanut Butter: You can also substitute using a different nut or seed butter with the understanding that the flavor will change based upon the nut/seed butter selected.
*Unsweetened Plain Plant Milk: You may or may not need the plant milk. When cooked the mixture should be on the thicker side, yet easily stir-able. We found we needed 2 Tablespoons of plant milk to get that consistancy.
*Brown Rice Crisps Cereal: We used Barbaras Organic Brown Rice Crisps Cereal. It is Whole Food Plant Based. The only ingredients are Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice, Organic Pear Juice Concentrate, and Sea Salt. Note: The link above to Amazon is just for visual reference as we are aware it is a bulk purchase of 6 boxes of cereal. We found this product at our local health food store (Earth Fare.)
*Baking Dish: You can use just about any size baking dish you wish, largely dependent upon how thick or thin you want your treats. We used a 6.5 x 8.5 inch dish.
*Melted Chocolate Chip Drizzle: We used Enjoy Life Mega Chocolate Chunks for drizzling. Simply place the chocolate chips/chunks in the microwave and heat for 10 seconds at a time, stir, then repeat until the chocolate has melted, then drizzle the treats. (Shown in the photos)
*Mini Chocolate Chips: We used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Dairy Free Mini Chocolate Chips. If adding the chocolate chips directly into the cereal mixture, use mini chocolate chips rather than regular sized ones. They melt right into the mixture, which is what you want. (Not shown in the photos, made in a kitchen test, very tasty) If you can’t get mini or don’t want to use mini, you can use regular sized, chunked, or bar of chocolate and chop it into small tiny pieces so that it melts throughout the rice krispie treats. If you want chunk of chocolate to bit into, then keep them on the larger side.
*Refrigeration: These healthy treats are not your typical rice crispy treats that use melted butter and marshmallows to hold them together. They stick together perfectly, but we have found the best results are refrigerate them for 4-6 hours or over night and to keep them stored in refrigerator.
*Tips for success: Line the baking dish with parchment paper with paper hanging over the two longest sides. This will make it easier to pick up and remove the treats from the baking dish after they have been refrigerated. When placing the treats into the parchment paper lined baking dish, try to evenly distribute the mixture as it is difficult to move around once it is in the dish. Then press down very firmly to compress the mixture together and create one cohesive block. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before scoring. When ready to score, run a thin bladed sharp knife along the edges that are not covered by parchment paper (2 short sides), then lift the treats up by holding the edges of the parchment paper. Place on a flat surface, score and cut with a very sharp knife. Keep the blade clean with every cut.
*Serving: 6 to 9 treats
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 14 days.