This homemade, oil-free Vegan Rice-A-Roni recipe is brimming with flavor and made with simple, wholesome ingredients.
- 1 cup brown rice *
- 1/3 cup vermicelli pasta, broken into 1 ¼-inch pieces *
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Pinch celery seed (optional)
Other Optional Ingredients:
- 1 cup frozen baby sweet peas
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Rinse the rice with hot tap water, then place the rinsed rice in a bowl of hot tap water to soak for 20 minutes. Drain the water from the rice, set aside.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place the dry vermicelli pasta into a dry skillet and toast the vermicelli until it is golden brown. Watch it carefully, it goes from slightly golden brown to burnt very quickly.
- Once the vermicelli is golden, then drain the rice and place into the skillet with vermicelli, stir, then immediately place all the remaining Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix into the skillet. Stir just until well mixed.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer/steam for 30 to 35 minutes or until the rice and vermicelli are tender. Do not lift the lid or stir the rice while it is cooking. Once the rice is tender, if adding peas, add at this time, stir to incorporate, cover with a lid and heat through.
- Remove from the stove, keep covered and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4-5 Servings