Easy, healthy, and comforting, this low-fat, oil-free Vegan Pizza Pasta Soup is a hearty Italian dish full of delicious veggie pizza flavor!
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon GF flour *
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast (+/-)
- Pinch baking soda *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (divided)
- 1 – [ 4 oz. can ] sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1/3 cup black olives, sliced (optional)
- 4 to 6 oz. pasta shells (or pasta of choice)
Cream Sauce Blender Ingredients:
- ½ cup cannellini beans
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Pinch dried crushed fennel seeds (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Check package directions on cooking times and/or boil the pasta until el dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions and diced bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat until the veggies begin to soften, approximately 9 to 10 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, tomato paste and flour, sauté for 1 minute, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients (except the baking soda) and Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer, add in the baking soda, stir to combine.
- Add all the Other Ingredients (except for the cooked pasta), simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, make the Cream Sauce by adding all the Cream Sauce Ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and emulsified, then add to the soup pot, stir well to combine. Continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the veggies have reached their desired tenderness, then add the cooked pasta. Stir well to combine and allow to heat through, then remove from the stove and allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve topped with freshly chopped parsley and/or Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 5 (makes 9 cups)