Creamy, flavorful, and hearty, this wholesome, oil-free Vegan Pineapple Chickpea Salad recipe is a vegan spin on the popular Pineapple Chicken Salad.
Food Processor Ingredients:
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup pineapple tidbits *
- 1 cup celery, diced (+/-) *
- ½ cup red onion, fine dice (+/-) *
- 1 to 1 ½ cups pineapple tidbits *
- ¼ to ½ cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped (+/-) (optional) *
- ½ cup (raw) cashews *
- ½ cup pineapple tidbits *
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (from can of pineapple tidbits) *
- 2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Burger bun, toasted bread, flour tortilla wrap, or lettuce cup
- Shredded lettuce
- Place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, drain off water (discard water) and place the soaked cashews into a high-speed blender.
- Make the Sauce by placing all the remaining Sauce Ingredients into a high-speed blender with the soaked cashews. Blend until smooth and emulsified. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas, shake off any excess water. Place the chickpeas into a food processor along with ¼ cup of pineapple tidbits, pulse a few seconds just until roughly chopped. Place the contents into a large bowl.
- Place all the Salad Ingredients into the large bowl with the chopped chickpeas and pineapple mixture.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture, gently toss. Taste test for flavor. Add more seasoning, if needed. Refrigerate for an hour to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve on your favorite burger bun, toasted bread, wrap or lettuce cup.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 5