Vegan Pho soup! So amazingly delicious, healthy and a lot easier to make than you would think. Pho is comfort food at its finest, packed with fresh, healthy ingredients and tasty rice noodles. Nothing beats a steaming hot bowl of pho! A fabulous Whole Food Plant Based soup, no oil, no sugar, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
This Vegan Pho was inspired by Everyday Delicious recipe Vegan Pho in 30 Minutes.
Pho Soup Base Ingredients:
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 1 celery stalk (1 stick/rib), cut in pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut in pieces
- 6 white button mushrooms, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and cut into pieces (+/- to taste)
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups Pacific Organic Vegetable Stock *
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon San J Gluten Free Soy Sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon Stick (+/- to taste)
- 1 –2 teaspoons sea salt (+/- to taste)
- 1 star anise and 2 whole cloves (both are traditional ingredients), but we left them out as we are not fans.
- 8 oz. box of Annie Chun’s Pad Thai Brown Rice Noodles
- 1 large head Bok Choy – rinsed, cleaned and sliced into long thin pieces
- 15 snow pea pods
- Carrot sticks – micro sticks
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- Button mushrooms – micro slices
- Green onions – thinly sliced
- Cilantro – roughly chopped
- Jalapeno Peppers – sliced into thin rings
- Mini Red Bell Peppers – sliced into thin rings
- Asian Microgreens
- Lime wedges
- Soy Sauce
- Chili Sauce
- Sriracha (Our favorite is Wildbrine)
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot, add all the Pho Soup Base ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare and prep all your additional ingredients and add-in topping ingredients. Set aside.
- After the Pho Soup base has simmered for 20 minutes, remove from heat and strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl. Then rinse out your soup pot, rinse out the fine mesh sieve, and strain the broth again back into the soup pot. In other words, double strained through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the strained vegetables (or refrigerate and save for later).
- Place the soup stock base back onto the stove, taste test the broth for flavor. This pho soup base is very light. Add more seasoning, if desired.
- Increase the heat, and bring the soup broth back to a boil, then add the bok choy and cook for 4 minutes, then add the brown rice noodles, cook for 2 minutes, then add the micro-stick carrots, snow pea pods, and continue cooking until the brown rice noodles are tender, or as instructed by package directions. (Typically, brown rice noodles cook fast).
- To serve, ladle some soup broth, bok choy, carrots and snow pea pods into a bowl, top with any of the optional toppings. Enjoy!
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients; however, this brand of vegetable stock does have a strong flavor so less broth is required when compared to the water ratio. We use a higher water to broth ratio because of this. If you use another brand of vegetable broth, then adjust the water/vegetable broth ratio accordingly.
*Sea Salt: You may need to add some sea salt. We added 2 teaspoons as we felt it added nice flavor.