This nourishing, oil-free Vegan Pesto Cabbage Chopped Salad is a burst of fresh ingredients and creamy basil sauce.
Adapted from Baked by Melissa on Tik Tok
Base Salad Ingredients:
- 3 cups green cabbage, small dice (or grated)
- 3 baby cucumbers, small dice
- 1 – [ .66 oz. package ] fresh chives, fine dice (divided in half) *
- 1/8 cup (raw) cashews
- 1/8 cup walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, rough chop
- 1 small shallot, rough chop (about 1/3 cup-rough chop)
- Fresh chives (other half of chives package – from above) *
- 1 cup baby spinach (packed)
- 1 cup fresh basil (packed)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (+/-)
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice (+/-)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- Lemon zest
- Tortilla chips or crackers
- Place the cashews and walnuts in a small bowl, cover with hot water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, discard the water and place the cashews and walnuts into a high-speed blender.
- In the meantime, place all the Salad Base Ingredients into a large bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Add the Sauce Ingredients into a high-speed blender with the soaked cashews and walnuts. Blend on high until the sauce is creamy, emulsified, and smooth. Taste test for flavor, add more ingredients to reach the flavor you desire.
- Pour the sauce over the salad ingredients, mix well to completely coat the salad ingredients. Taste test, add more seasonings as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or crackers, or eat as a tasty healthy salad.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 3 to 4