When your sauce game is strong, everything shines a little brighter. And this wholesome, vegan twist on a classic Italian pesto is bringing all the flavors. Satisfying, comforting, and brimming with healthy deliciousness, this Vegan Oil Free Avocado Pesto can be made in a flash and pairs perfectly with pasta, veggie bowls, roasted veggies, and so much more. This week’s Whip It Up Wednesday recipe is perfect for weeknights when you need something fast to feed a hungry family.
Whole Food Plant Based recipe, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 2 avocados, peeled, chunked
- ¾ cup to 1 cup fresh basil, loosely packed
- 2 Tablespoons blanched almond slivers
- 2 Tablespoons raw cashews (about 10–12 nuts)
- 1 Tablespoon pine nuts
- 3 to 7 Tablespoons water *
- 1 ½ to 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Place the all the ingredients into a high-speed blender, blend on high until smooth, creamy, and emulsified. Note: Initially, you may need to use the tamper tool to keep the pesto moving in the blender.
- Taste test for flavor, adjust as needed.
*Water: The amount of water used can vary largely dependent on the size of the avocado and the personal preference on the thickness of the pesto. We averaged about 5 Tablespoons of water on our kitchen tests. You may need to use the tamper tool keep the pesto moving around in the high-speed blender.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 1 ¾ cups
*Storage: Use within 3 days