Served with a side of salsa and fresh lime wedges, these Vegan Mexican Pinwheels are full of plant-based goodness and bright Mexican flavors.
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese *
- ½ cup mild or medium salsa *
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
Additional Filling Ingredients:
- ½ cup very finely diced red bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, very finely diced *
- ¼ cup very finely sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup black beans *
- 2/3 cup corn *
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin (+/-)
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (+/-)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander (+/-)
- pinch to ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 4 to 6 tortillas (# of tortillas is largely dependent upon size) *
- Fresh lime wedges
- Place all the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a small box, whisk well, set aside.
- Place all the Filling Ingredients and the Herb/Spice Mix into a medium-sized bowl, mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Next, stir in the Additional Filling Ingredients, stir well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Place the tortillas on a plate.Cover them with a damp paper towel. Place them in the microwave to slightly warm (to remove the chill). Keep them covered in the damp paper towel as you work to prevent cracking.
- Lay a tortilla flat on a cutting board. Place 1/3 to ½ cup (depending on size of tortilla) of the filling mixture onto the center of the tortilla. Use the back of a spoon, kitchen knife (not sharp), or rubber spatula to spread the filling all over the tortilla, then scrape back the actual filling ingredients so that about 1/8 of the top of the tortilla is only covered with a very light amount of the cream cheese mixture.Reference blog photo and read notes for details. Roll the tortilla up tightly. Place the rolls onto a plate, seam side down, and cover them a damp paper towel to prevent cracking.
- Repeat the process until you have used all the filling. Cover the tortilla rolls with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- After two hours, remove one tortilla at a time from the refrigerator.Using a sharp knife, cut the tortilla in half, then take each half and cut into ½ to ¾ inch pinwheels. The end pieces should be set aside (to eat later) as they will not have very much of the filling mixture in them to serve to family or guests.
- Repeat until all the filled tortillas are sliced into pinwheels. Arrange on a serving platter with a side bowl of salsa and lime wedges. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until later.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Servings: Makes approx. 32 pinwheels