This vegan twist on an Italian classic takes pasta to a whole new level. Homemade oil-free Vegan Linguini with Red Clam Sauce is delicious, satisfying, and comes together in less than 20 minutes – YAY! Flavorful mushrooms, onions, and garlic sautéed in an irresistible red “clam” sauce tossed with chewy tasty linguini will remind you of sitting on an Italian plaza under sunny skies near the sea – a total dream dish. Perfect for busy weeknight meals, which you just want to get something fast and easy on the table that is sure to absolutely delight your taste buds, making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 4 oz. white button mushrooms, diced (+/- to taste)
- 4 oz. baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced (+/- to taste)
- 2 teaspoons tamari *
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced garlic (about 8 to 10 cloves)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup vegetable broth (see notes) *
- 2 cups water (or broth – see notes) *
- 1 to 2 teaspoons organic maple syrup (optional) *(see notes)
- 2 Tablespoon unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 Tablespoon miso *
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon dulse granules (optional) *
- 1 – 1b. Linguini (regular or gluten free) cooked
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Crushed red pepper flake
- Vegan Parmesan cheese
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large stockpot) add the chopped white button mushrooms and the sliced baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms with 2 teaspoons of tamari. Sauté over medium-high heat until all (or most) of the water has been released from the mushrooms, then remove from the pot and set aside.
- Carefully wipe out the bottom of the pot with a clean, damp cloth and add the diced onion, sauté until soft, about 7 to 9 minutes. Add a splash of water here and there to prevent burning, then add the finely minced garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, then all the remaining ingredients (including the mushrooms), except the cooked linguini. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Taste test the flavor, add more seasoning, if needed.
- Take some of the sauce and mix it with the cooked linguini. Then serve with additional sauce over top and your favorite toppings.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. If using a brand other than Pacific or a brand that has a mild flavor then use 2 cups of broth and 1/2 cup water.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also substitute with chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Organic Maple Syrup: First try it without any maple syrup, then add a small amount, mix well, then add a tiny bit more (if needed) until the desired flavor is achieved. Clams have a natural sweetness to them so we used maple syrup to get that sweet flavor. Maple Syrup is totally optional and based on taste preference.
*Dulse Granules: We used Sea Seasoning Organic Dulse Granules. You can totally leave this out and the flavor is still fantastic. The Dulse Granules just give the dish a slight “seafood” like flavor to this dish. Dulse is a red seaweed harvested in the cool waters along the Atlantic coast and Pacific Ocean.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 – 5
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.