Nourishing, powerhouse ingredients shine in this oil free Vegan Kale Pesto White Bean Potato Soup that takes a vegan twist to kale-basil pesto in the form of a low-fat, cozy soup.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 4 to 4 ½ cups peeled and diced potatoes, 3/4-inch cubes *
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (+/-)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings (+/-)
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 3 to 4 cups chopped kale
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese (+/-) *
- 3 – [ 15 oz. cans ] cannellini beans, (divided), drained and rinsed *
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice (+/-)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Toasted pine nuts
- Finely chopped fresh basil
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large stock pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions are softened, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 7 minutes, add 2-cans of the white beans, chopped kale, and chopped basil. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- While simmering, take the remaining can of white beans, drain and rinse, then place it in a small bowl and mash really well. Set aside.
- After 8 minutes, add the nutritional yeast, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, lemon juice, and the mashed white beans. Simmer for several more minutes or until the potatoes are perfectly tender.
- Once, the potatoes are perfectly tender, remove 1 cup of the cooked potatoes from the soup pot, place them in a bowl and mash them really well, then return them to the soup mixture, stir to incorporate. Simmer for several more minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Top individual servings with chopped fresh basil, a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and toasted pine nuts.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4-5 Servings