Coconut lovers rejoice, these gluten free Vegan Jeweled Coconut Cookies are brimming with sweet jam, nutty toasted coconut, and holiday vibes!
- ½ cup rolled oats, chopped
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, divided *
- 1 cup almond flour, lightly packed
- ½ cup maple sugar (or coconut sugar) *
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt *
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup cashew butter *
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Raspberry preserves/jam (or jam of choice) *
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or silicone baking pad), set aside.
- Place 1 ¼ cups of coconut flakes into a food processor, process for 1 to 2 minutes until completely broken up, then place in a bowl, set aside. These chopped coconut flakes are for rolling the cookie dough in. Set aside until later.
- Place the rolled oats and ¾ cup coconut flakes into the food processor, process until broken up, about 30 seconds, then place into a large bowl.
- Place all the remaining Dry Ingredients into a large mixing bowl with the chopped oats/coconut flakes (from Step 4), whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add all the Wet Ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, stir well to combine. It may take a minute or two for the mixture to come together.
- Scoop up 1 tablespoon of cookie dough, roll into a tight ball, set onto a plate. With damp hands, take each of the cookie balls and roll them in finely chopped coconut flakes, then place onto the parchment paper lined (or silicone pad lined) baking sheet, slightly flatten into a dish. Try to keep the cookies in similar size and shape for even baking.
- Then use the back of a ½ teaspoon rounded measuring spoon to press an indentation in the center of each cookie. (Do not add the jam yet).
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven (center rack) for 10 to 11 minutes. Remove from the oven, quickly switch the oven to broil. Do not place the cookies back into the oven just yet.
- Then immediately, while the cookies are still hot, press the center of the cookie with the back of a measuring ½ teaspoon (again) to create a more firm indentation to hold the jam.
- Move the oven rack to the 2nd highest position near the broiler. Place the cookies back in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, just to lightly toast the coconut on the cookies. Watch them closely.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, place a teaspoon of raspberry jam (or your favorite jam) in the center of each cookie.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 24 to 26 cookies