When cookies are for breakfast, you just know it’s going to be a good day! We are coming in hot with these wholesome and delicious Vegan Hummingbird Breakfast Cookies that are a healthy twist on the southern classic hummingbird cake. Sweet dates, juicy pineapple, rich coconut, hearty oats, and tasty pecans make for an amazing breakfast cookie that will delight kids and adults alike. These comforting cookies are not only for breakfast, they make fantastic snacks and treats for dessert – YUM!
Whole Food Plant Based, plant based, vegan, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free, if needed)
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond butter
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/3 cup drained crushed pineapple
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened plain plant milk *(see step 3)
- WFPB Maple Glaze found on Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the oven rack to the center position.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat, set aside.
- Add the Medjool dates to a food processor, process for one minute to break them up, then add all the remaining ingredients (except the plant milk). Process for 30 – 45 seconds to combine. Test the dough by picking up some dough and squeezing it. If it does not hold together easily, add 1 Tablespoon of plant milk, and process for a few seconds. If it holds together and forms a ball easily, no need to add the plant milk.
- Scoop up a golf ball size dough (2 cookie scoops), roll into a tight smooth ball, then slightly flatten into a thick disk, then place onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough is used. Wash hands between every 5 to 6 dough ball rolls to prevent sticking.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 12 minutes, then remove from the oven. Allow to set on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooking rack.
- If desired (optional), drizzle the Maple Glaze over the breakfast cookies.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Makes: 19 to 20 breakfast cookies
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days. Freezes well.