Creamy, comforting, and so tasty, these Vegan Greek Spinach Mashed Potatoes are bursting with tangy lemon, yogurt, and olive flavors.
Mashed Potatoes Base Ingredients:
- 3 ½ to 4 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant yogurt
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon ume plum vinegar *
Mashed Potatoes Spice/Herb Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Spinach Skillet Ingredients:
- ½ cup finely diced red onions
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 oz. spinach (fresh or frozen) *
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill weed (optional) (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon dried mint (optional) (+/-) *
- pinch to ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
Other Optional Ingredients:
- ½ cup chopped kalamata olives
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Place the Mashed Potato Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Placed the peeled and cubed potatoes into a large stock pot, cover with cold water. Sprinkle with sea salt, bring to a boil. Boil until just perfectly tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, microwave or cook the spinach until tender, place the spinach in a fine mesh strainer/colander and squeeze all the water out. Press hard to remove the water. It should look very dry and compacted, set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add the diced red onions into a large skillet, sauté over medium heat until tender. Add two tablespoons of water to assist in softening the red onions.
- Then add the minced garlic to the skillet with the red onions, sauté for one minute.
- Next, add the cooked and pressed spinach, lemon juice, and all the remaining Spinach Skillet Ingredients to the skillet, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from the stove and set aside.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain thoroughly. Then mash the potatoes with a potato masher.Add the plant yogurt, plant milk, ume plum vinegar and the Spice/Herb Mix. Beat with an electric beater (or continue with the potato masher) until the potatoes are perfectly smooth.
- Fold the skillet spinach mixture into the mashed potatoes.If adding the chopped kalamata olives, add at this time, then gently mix until everything is well combined. Serve with a sprinkle of chopped olives, chopped parsley and some Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Serves 5 to 6. Makes 7 ½ cups