These satisfying Vegan Enchilada Zucchini Boats are filled with nourishing beans, rice, bell peppers, and onions and coated in a delightful, aromatic sauce.
- 5 to 6 medium zucchinis
- Sprinkle sea salt *
Enchilada Sauce Mix Ingredients:
- 2 cups enchilada sauce *
- 1 – [ 4.5 oz. can ] chopped mild green chiles, undrained *
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice
- ½ cup red bell peppers, fine dice
- ½ cup green bell peppers, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups refrigerated rice (of choice) *
- ¼ cup enchilada sauce mix *
Skillet Spice/Herb Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (+/-) *
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Chopped avocadoes
- Vegan sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Crushed tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise. Gently scoop out the insides of the zucchini, leaving a boat-like shell with a ¼ inch thickness perimeter all the way around the zucchini. Discard the insides and the seeds.
- When finished carving the zucchini boats, sprinkle the insides of the zucchini boats with sea salt, turn them upside-down (cut side down) onto a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain. Set aside for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Place all the Enchilada Sauce Mix Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place the Skillet Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the finely diced onions and bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, add a splash of water, if needed to avoid burning. Then lower the heat to medium, add the minced garlic, sauté, stir constantly for one minute.
- Then add all the remaining Skillet Ingredients and the Skillet Spice/Herb Mix to the skillet, stir well to incorporate, simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, then remove from the stove.
- Take the zucchini boats and gently wipe out the sea salt, set aside.
- Place one cup of the Enchilada Sauce Mixture onto the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Arrange the zucchini boat halves into the baking dish on top of the Enchilada Sauce Mixture.
- Take the Skillet Mix and generously load the zucchini boats, piling high (see notes).
- Take the remaining Enchilada Sauce Mix and spoon it over top of all the zucchini boats. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes (35 minutes total in the oven).
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven, allow to sit for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Top with avocado chunks, fresh cilantro, vegan sour cream and/or crushed tortilla chips.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5