Creamy, spicy, and oh-so-flavorful, this oil-free Vegan Enchilada Mac and Cheese if full of delicious plant-based goodness.
- ½ cup [raw] cashews
- 2 – [ 10 oz. cans ] or 2 ½ cups mild enchilada sauce
- 2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder *
- 2 Tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 to 12 oz. elbow macaroni *
- 4 oz. can mild green chilies, drained
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- ¼ cup crushed tortilla chips (+/-)
- Avocado, chunked
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, using the upper center rack.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water, set aside to drain.
- Place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, soak for 15 minutes, then drain off the liquid and discard. Then place the soaked cashews into a high-speed blender.
- Then add all the Sauce Ingredients (except the cornmeal) into the high-speed blender, along with the soaked cashews. Blend on high until the sauce is creamy, smooth.
- Add the cornmeal and pulse a few times, just to mix in thoroughly. Do not blend.
- Place the cooked macaroni into a large bowl, add the enchilada sauce mixture, black beans, and mild green chiles into the bowl, mix well. Spoon into a small casserole serving dish and top with the crushed tortilla chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then switch to high broil and broil for a few minutes until the topping is lightly toasted. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 6