Say hello to the beautiful cabbage, you’ll be besties after this delicious dish! The flavors of an egg roll combined with healthy wholesome ingredients, then pilled high in a bowl with nutritious rice and sautéed bok choy, and topped with toasted sesame seeds, green onions, and sprouts, is sure to be the dish that puts a smile on your face. This Asian inspired, no oil Vegan Egg Roll Stir Fry is as easy as it is delicious. Reminiscent of the inside of an egg roll without the wrapper, this creative, nutrient dense dish is delightfully filling and super tasty making it an ultimate Whole Food Plant Based recipe! Vegan, no oil, no refined sugar, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 1 small green/white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 heaping Tablespoons finely minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger (+/- to taste) *
- 1 Tablespoon mellow white miso
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon tamari (+/- to taste, we used San J Reduced Sodium Gluten Free Tamari)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste)*
- 2/3 cup frozen edamame
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- Prepare all the veggies. Set aside.
- Place the rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, tamari, miso, garlic, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flake, toasted sesame seeds, and sea salt into a small bowl and mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot, add the sliced red onions. Sauté over medium-high heat for a few minutes, then add the sliced cabbage and grated carrots, sauté for a few minutes.
- Then add the mixture created in step 2 above and the frozen edamame and frozen peas. Stir well, cover the pot and allow to cook for 8 to 12 minutes, largely dependent on how tender you enjoy your veggies. Check often and stir.
- Remove from heat, keep the lid on, and allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve with forbidden rice (black rice) or brown rice, and sautéed bok choy and topped with some chopped green onion tops, sprouts, and toasted sesame seeds.
*Ginger: We used ½ teaspoon of freshly grated ginger, use more based on personal preference.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 6
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 7 days.