Incredibly comforting and flavorful, this oil free Vegan Creamy Tomato Orzo is pure wholesome comfort food.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup [raw] cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
Skillet Spice/Herb Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
Stir-In Spice/Herb Ingredients:
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Italian Seasonings
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 12 oz. orzo *
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped fresh basil
- Cook the orzo according to package directions (al dente stage *), drain, rinse with cold water, set aside.
- In the meantime, place the Skillet Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk to combine, set aside.
- Place the Stir-In Spice/Herb Ingredients into a separate small bowl, whisk to combine, set aside.
- Add the diced onions to a large skillet, sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Next add the minced garlic, sauté, stirring constantly for one minute, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients(including the cashews) and the Skillet Spice/Herb Mix. Stir well to mix, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, remove the skillet from the stove and allow to slightly cool off, approximately 2 to 4 minutes, then place the skillet mixture into a high-speed blender and blend on high for several minutes. Then pour the blended skillet mixture back into the large skillet and place on the stove.
- Add the Stir-In Spice/Herb Mix and red wine vinegar to the skillet, stir well to combine. Increase the heat to boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the peas and cooked orzo *, simmer for 4 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve topped with Vegan Parmesan Cheese and freshly chopped basil.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5