Rich, velvety, and irresistible, this oil-free Vegan Creamy Italian Gnocchi Soup recipe is brimming with healthy veggies, tender gnocchi, and luxurious broth!
- ½ cup (raw) cashews
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar *
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Italian Herb Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 to 16 oz. frozen vegetables, thawed *
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 14 to 16 oz. gnocchi, cooked *
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Place the cashews in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, allow to sit for 10 minutes, then drain off the water, set aside to add in Step 5.
- Fill a medium stock pot full of water, bring to a boil, then cook the gnocchi according to package directions, when done, drain off the water and set aside to add in Step 7.
- Place the Italian Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined soup pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and soaked cashews, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the stove and allow to cool slightly, then place the soup mixture into a high-speed blender. Blend on high until the soup is creamy and emulsified. Then return the soup mixture to the stock pot, add the Italian Herb Ingredients, stir well, and place back on the stove.
- Simmer the soup on low for 7 minutes, then add the thawed veggies and cooked gnocchi. Simmer on low for 7 minutes. Taste test and ramp up any additional spices/herbs as needed.
- Remove from the stove and allow to sit for 5 minutes for the flavors to marry. Serve and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 5