We are all about a sweet breakfast treat, and this healthy old-fashioned Vegan Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake is just the perfect way to celebrate Christmas morning or a fun brunch gathering. This tender, lightly sweet, filled with cinnamon goodness and a tasty crumble topping that tastes decadent, but is healthy and wholesome, is a fantastic addition to your breakfast or dessert. It is sure to make guests and family think you labored in the kitchen over this deliciousness.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
Coffee Cake Ingredients:
- ¾ cup rolled oats, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour, lightly packed
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup maple sugar *
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt *
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
- ½ cup rolled oats, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the oven rack in the center position.
- Make the Crumble Topping– Place ½ cup oats in a food processor to break them up, about 20 seconds. Then add all the remaining Crumble Toppingingredients to the food processor and process until well combined. The Crumble Topping should be “loose” but hold together when taking a small amount and pressing it into a ball. (see notes). Set aside.
- Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the Coffee Cake by placing ¾ cup oats in a food processor to break them up, about 20 seconds. Then add all the remaining Coffee Cake ingredients to the food processor and process until well combined.
- Pour the Coffee Cake batter into the parchment lined 8 x 8 baking dish, smooth out carefully to make the batter even and level. Then place the Crumble Topping onto of the batter – see notes.
- Bake at 350 F for 28 to 30 minutes. Note: Place a piece of foil across the top of the cake at the 15-minute mark to prevent over-browning of the crumble.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for at least 25 minutes, serve warm.
*Medjool dates, Maple Sugar Maple Syrup: We get tons of questions about sweetener substitutions. We totally get it. Some folks want to use all Medjool dates, while others want to use all maple syrup. We’ve tried making this coffee cake using all Medjool dates, it turned out gummy. We also tried using all maple syrup, gummy also. Honestly, the best sweetener for this cake recipe is the combination of maple sugar and unsweetened applesauce. Additionally, using date sugar is not recommended either as it just doesn’t have the same flavor and texture needed for this recipe. (Note: The Crumble Topping works perfectly well with maple syrup). ***We also get a lot of questions about using coconut sugar, many of our readers have let us know that coconut sugar works well as a substitute for maple sugar.
*Tips: You do not have to clean and wash the food processor out after making the Crumble Topping if you wipe out the food processor and wipe off the “S” blade to remove moisture before making the Coffee cake.
*Crumble Topping: One thing that makes a crumble topping pretty is the dimension of the crumbles. This can be achieved by taking small amounts of the crumble topping and squeezing it in your hand to create small crumbly balls and then placing them around the surface. Make them different sizes. Sprinkle any remaining loose crumble to fill in the gaps. Very slightly and gently press the crumble into the cake batter. If your crumble is too sticky, add a Tablespoon (+) of almond flour. If you crumble does not lightly stick together, add ½ teaspoon of almond butter. The crumble should appear loose, but should stick together when taking a small amount and squeezing it together.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Use within 5 days.