This oil free Vegan Chili-ghetti is a simple and delicious dish that adults and kiddos will love.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- ½ green bell pepper, small dice
- ½ red bell pepper, small dice
- ¼ cup water *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 – [ 14.5 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- ½ cup water *
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (+/-)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] kidney beans, drained and rinsed *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons regular chili powder (+/-) *
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (+/-)
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon oregano *
- ½ to 1 teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 12 to 14 oz. spaghetti *
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the spaghetti(or noodles/pasta of choice). Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Check package directions on cooking times and/or boil the pasta until al dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside until Step 9. If the pasta gets sticky while waiting, simply rinse with cold water to loosen it up again.
- Place all the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a bowl, whisk, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the onions and bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions and peppers are soft, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet, sauté for 1 minute.
- Then add ¼ cup water to deglaze the pan and steam sauté the onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté until the water is almost or completely evaporated.
- Add the Spice/Herb mix to the skillet, stirring constantly for 30 seconds, just until the spices become fragrant.
- Then immediately add the remaining Base Ingredients (except for the baking soda and kidney beans). Stir well to combine, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the baking soda, stirring constantly for 30 seconds, then stir in the kidney beans. Simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure the onions and bell peppers are perfectly tender before moving to the next step.
- Once the onions and peppers are perfectly tender, add the cooked spaghetti. Stir well to combine, continue to heat for 3 minutes until the spaghetti is heated through and coated with the chili sauce. Remove from the stove.
- Allow to sit for 3 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and the spaghetti to absorb the chili flavors. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.