Irresistibly crispy, tender, and flavorful, these healthy, oil-free Vegan Chickpea Nuggets are little golden treasures of yumminess!
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- ½ cup Panko crumbs (or bread crumbs) *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained (into a bowl) and rinsed *
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 3 Tablespoons low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper *
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Panko crumbs (or bread crumbs) *
- 1 Tablespoon cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Large pinch smoked paprika
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- Pinch to 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Drain the can of chickpeas into a bowl to retain the aquafaba to use later in Step 9.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place the Crumb Topping Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 10 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Mix to the food processor (with the oats), pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well. Pick up some of the mix and squeeze it together, it should stick together easily. If not, add a teaspoon of veggie broth at a time until the mixture comes together.
- Pick up a golf-sized ball of the mixture and form a smooth, tight ball, then while still in your hands, flatten the ball into about a ¾ inch thick disk and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all the nuggets are made. (See notes on nugget formation).
- Then take each nugget, dip it into the aquafaba, then place the nugget into the crumb mixture, coat it on all sides with the crumb mixture then place back onto the parchment paper. Continue until all nuggets are dipped and coated.
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven (center rack) and bake for 15 minutes, then flip, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes to set up before serving with your favorite dipping sauce.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 16 nuggets