Healthy, bold, and comforting, this oil-free Vegan Bang Bang Veggie Pasta is bursting with nourishing veggies and delicious Asian-inspired flavors.
- 1/8 cup raw cashews *
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 Tablespoon GF flour (or flour of choice) *
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water (or broth)
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chili garlic paste *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 8 to 10 oz. GF pasta (or pasta of choice)
- 10 oz. frozen cauliflower or broccoli (or both), thawed and cooked
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sliced green onions
- Red pepper flake
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, set aside for 10 minutes. After soaking, discard the water, then add in Step 6.
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Check package directions on cooking times and/or boil the pasta until el dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside.
- Place the Sauce Ingredients in a bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, Dutch oven, or non-stick skillet, add the finely diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, then lower the heat to medium, add the minced garlic and ginger, sauté, stir constantly over for one minute.
- Then sprinkle the flour over the mixture and sauté for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the Sauce Mixture to the skillet, stir to incorporate and thicken the sauce, bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the stove to allow to cool for a few minutes, then place the skillet mixture into a high-speed blender along with the soaked cashews. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified, then return the sauce to the skillet. Simmer the sauce for several minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Taste test and ramp up any flavors accordingly, if needed.
- Add in the cooked pasta, cooked veggies, and red pepper flakes, heat the pasta through, about 3 minutes, then remove from the stove and allow the flavors to marry for a few minutes. Top with sliced green onions, toasted sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.