Simple, sweet, and comforting, these soft, oil-free Vegan Banana Nut Bread Cookies are the best way to transform overripe bananas into irresistible cookies.
- ½ cup rolled oats, processed
- 1 cup almond flour *
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons maple sugar (or coconut sugar) *
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt *
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas *
- 2 Tablespoons cashew butter *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 ¼ cups chopped walnuts, divided *
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the oven rack in the upper-center
- Line a baking sheet with silicone baking pads or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the rolled oats into the food processor, and pulse for 15 seconds to finely chop, then place into a large bowl.
- Then add all the remaining Dry Ingredients into the large bowl with the finely chopped oats, whisk until well combined.
- Then add the Wet Ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir until everything is mixed well. Then stir in the one cup chopped walnuts; mix well to evenly distribute.
- Scoop up the cookie dough with a small cookie scoop (twice) – approximately golf ball size; gently roll into a ball and set onto the cookie sheet. Continue until all the dough has been scooped and placed on the cookie sheet. You may need to wash your hands in between every 5 to 6 cookies.The cookie dough is somewhat loose but manageable.
- Then gently flatten each cookie to about 2 ½ inches in diameter and sprinkle the tops with finely chopped nuts.Gently press the nuts to the cookie dough.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 350 F for 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet to set up, then transfer to a cooling rack.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 18 cookies