Cozy, comforting, and fragrant, this Thai Red Curry Lentil Soup with Rice is packed with wholesome lentils, veggies, and rice.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 red bell pepper, fine dice
- 1 carrot, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons red curry paste *
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 5 cups water
- 1 – [ 14.5 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda *
- 1 ½ cups dry brown lentils (or French lentils), picked through and rinsed *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons curry powder (+/-) *
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ cup light coconut milk (can) optional *
- Steamed rice (of choice)
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the sea salt) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, red bell peppers, andcarrots; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of vegetable broth or water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Next add the minced garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and red curry paste, sauté, stirring constantly for one minute, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients (except the baking soda and lentils) and the Spice/Herb Mix. Stir well to mix, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the baking soda, stir constantly for 30 seconds to allow the baking soda to settle, then add the lentils, stir. Cover the pot (ajar), simmer with a gentle low boil for 30 to 40 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- When the lentils are tender, add the lime juice, light coconut milk, and sea salt. Simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes. Remove from the stove and allow to sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to marry. Serve with steamed rice mixed in.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 5 to 6 (makes 11 ½ cups)