Healthy, flavorful, and rich, this oil-free Sweet and Sour Sauce is full of rich sweetness and umami flavors.
- ½ cup pineapple chunks *
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon white miso *
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- Place all the ingredients except for the cornstarch into a high-speed blender, pulse until all the ingredients are smooth and emulsified. Then add the cornstarch and pulse just to mix in.
- Place the sauce into a small sauce pot, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a low boil, simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture slightly thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool. Use immediately or refrigerate.
- Serve as a delicious topper for Asian dishes as well as with potatoes, pasta, and rice.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes ½ cup