Do you dream of tacos? We sure do, and these Spicy Pineapple Chickpea Tacos are totally dream-worthy! Easy to make and utterly delicious, these amazingly spicy, bold, with a hint of sweetness creates a fantastic taco filling that just can’t be beat! Zesty red onions, aromatic garlic, spicy jalapeño peppers, sweet pineapple, and flavorful spices all come together in the most tasty way, making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe. Plus, you just can’t beat tacos in less than 20 minutes, ideal for weeknight meals when you need a satisfying meal in a flash.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- ½ medium red onion, rough chop
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, (about ¼ cup diced)
- 1 – 20 oz. can pineapple chunks packed in 100% pineapple juice, divided (Sauce Ingredients uses 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice (from can of pineapple chunks)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium tamari * (see notes)
- 1 Tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons+ 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (+/- to taste)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- 2 – 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15 oz. can corn, drained
- Taco shells/tortillas
- Finely diced red onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced jalapeños
- Diced avocado
- Place the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Divide the can of pineapple into 1 cup and the remaining pineapple. Retain the pineapple juice. Dice the remaining pineapple and set aside.
- Place all the Sauce Ingredients into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not pureed.
- Take one can drained and rinsed chickpeas and mash them, then place them into a ceramic/enamel-lined or nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Then drain and rinse the other can of chickpeas and add them to the skillet, do not mash the 2nd can of chickpeas.
- Add the Herb/Spice mix and stir to release the flavor for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the corn, remaining diced pineapple (from Step 2) and Sauce, increase the heat to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer over low for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Serve immediately in your favorite taco/tortilla shell with chopped cilantro, diced red onions, jalapeños, and chopped avocado pieces.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 14 to 16 tacos
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.
*Nutritional Information: Only includes the filling, not the taco shell/tortilla. Does not include optional toppings.