Refreshing, bold flavors come together in this healthy, vegan Spicy Glazed Chickpea Napa Cabbage Salad; a rainbow salad that will put a smile on your face. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
This recipe was inspired by My Gourmet Connection’s Spicy Pork and Napa Cabbage Salad
- 4 cups shredded Napa Cabbage *
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon white miso *
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 2 Tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¾ teaspoon chili garlic sauce *
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth *
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flake (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Place all the Salad Ingredients in a bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place all the Salad Dressing Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk to combine, then pour into the Napa Cabbage salad, mix well to combine, set aside.
- Place all the Glazed Mix into a small bowl, whisk well to combine, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined large skillet, add the chickpeas and Glaze Ingredients, heat until boiling, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce thickens and coats the chickpeas, stir about 2 minutes.
- Then pour the glazed chickpea mixture over the Napa Cabbage Salad, toss and serve immediately for a refreshingly delicious salad (or allow to sit for 10 minutes for a bolder tangier salad).
*Refreshing versus Bold: Our family was completely divided over this salad. Some preferred it served immediately after making, as the flavors continue to develop over time. If served immediately, it has a light and refreshing taste. If you allow it to sit, the flavors continue to develop and become more bold and tangy.
*Napa Cabbage: About one small Napa Cabbage weighing about 1.4 to 1.6 oz. Shred into 4 cups.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also use chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Chili Garlic Sauce: We used Huy Fong Foods Chili Garlic Sauce. This brand does have a small amount of sugar. However, this brand is generally accepted by the WFPB community.
*Peanuts: Although the list of ingredients do not include chopped peanuts, this dish is delicious with a sprinkle chopped peanuts mixed in.
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.