If you enjoy some heat and lots of umami flavors, then this versatile and tasty Spicy Asian Mushroom Veggie Soup is sure to become a new favorite.
- 10 oz. Baby Bella (or Cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari (divided) *
- 1 small yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 celery rib, fine dice
- 1 red bell pepper, fine dice
- 1 fresno green chile pepper (or jalapeno pepper) *
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons white miso *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce (+/-) *
- 4 green onions, sliced *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (+/-)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Tofu *
- Asian noodles (or linguini)
- In a large stock pot, add the sliced mushrooms and 2 Tablespoons tamari, sauté for 4 to 6 minutes until the mushrooms are reduced, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same large stock pot, add the diced onions, carrots, celery, fresno chile pepper, and red bell peppers; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of vegetable broth or water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Next add the minced garlic and ginger, sauté, stirring constantly for one minute, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients (including the remaining 1 Tablespoon of tamari) and the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flakes). Stir well to mix, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms, simmer for 15 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, simmer for several minutes.
- If serving with noodles, boil noodles per package directions, drain, shake off excess water. Placed the cooked noodles into the bottom of the bowl, then ladle the soup over top of the noodles and drop in some baked tofu cubes (if using). Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5