When you are trying to get in those wholesome greens, this addictively flavorful stew comes to the rescue! Fragrant and full feel-good ingredients, this comforting Spiced Kale Potato Stew is easy, delicious, and oh-so-satisfying. Hearty chickpeas and potatoes, powerhouse veggies, and aromatic spices come together to create this warming, dreamy stew that is sure to have everyone in the family running to the table. Get those bowls and bellies ready for some YUM!
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free refined, sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, fine dice *
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- 1 cup vegetable broth *(see notes for ration)
- 5 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 – 15.5 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon miso *
- 3 to 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon coriander
- ½teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Chopped Cilantro
- In a small bowl, add all the Seasonings/Spices, mix well. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, jalapeño peppers, and bell peppers; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water/broth if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, then add the dry Seasonings/Spices mix, sauté to release their fragrance, about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Then add the fire roasted petite diced tomatoes, veggie broth, miso, and water, stir well, bring to boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the quartered baby potatoes, and chickpeas. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, check the tenderness of the potatoes. Once the potatoes are tender, then add the chopped kale, put the lid back on and cook until the kale reaches the desired tenderness. Taste test the flavors, add more spices, if necessary, to achieve the level of flavor you desire.
- Serve immediately with freshly chopped cilantro, if desired.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. If using a brand other than Pacific that has a mild/mellow flavor, you may wish to use 2 ½ cups broth and ½ cup water.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. If you are going to live the Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle, then you will quickly find that miso is your friend. Miso is simply a paste made from fermented soybeans, barley or rice malt. We use a gluten-free mellow white miso. It is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, and most grocery or health food stores carry it these days. You can find it in the refrigerator section. A lot of Vegans and Whole Food Plant Basers call it “the secret weapon” because it really brings that rich umami flavor forward in a lot of dishes. Since we discovered it, we use it a lot. Simply because it really adds something special to our dishes that you just can’t get with other ingredients. It has a long refrigerator shelf life because it is fermented. So, if you can’t find it locally, we suggest that when you are taking any trips out of town, find a store that carries it, take a small ice chest and stock up.
*Jalapeno peppers: Jalapeno peppers can vary greatly in terms of heat. Take a tiny piece of the jalapeno and taste it. If it has a lot of heat, only add one jalapeno pepper, if you prefer more heat add two.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.