Briny, delicious, and nourishing, this healthy, oil-free Spaghetti alla Siciliana pasta dish is easy and fast, perfect for weeknight dinner.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 sun-dried tomato halves, fine dice *
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast *
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese *
- ½ cup pimento stuffed olives, ( ¼ cup chopped, ¼ cup sliced) *
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 to 10 oz. GF spaghetti *
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Check package directions on cooking times and/or boil the pasta until el dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside.
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flakes) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions are softened, approximately 9 to 10 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 1 minute, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and red pepper flakes, simmer for several minutes to ensure the pasta has been thoroughly heated through. Stir well, then remove from the stove and allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- Serve topped with freshly chopped parsley and/or Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.