Toasty, nutty, and brimming with Italian herby goodness, this easy, oil-free Simple Vegan Parmesan Zucchini makes for a delicious side dish.
- ¼ cup yellow onions, fine dice
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced *
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon panko crumbs *
- Preheat the oven to ‘Broil’. Set the oven rack near the broiler unit.
- Make the Parmesan Topping, set aside.
- Place the finely diced onions into to a nonstick skillet (broiler safe), sauté for several minutes until softened (about 3 to 5 minutes), adding a splash of water or vegetable broth to prevent sticking.
- Add the sliced zucchini, sauté for several minutes to soften, then all the remaining Skillet Ingredients, stir to combine, then flatten into an even layer, cover with a tight-fitting lid and sauté/simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, largely dependent upon how tender you like your zucchini. If any liquid is remaining, remove the lid to allow it to evaporate.
- Taste test and add more seasonings, if desired. Cook for several minutes if additional seasonings are added.
- Remove the skillet from the stove, sprinkle the Parmesan Topping all over the top of the zucchini, then place the skillet under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes until the topping is lightly golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
Tips for Success:
- Tenderness/Seasoning of Zucchini: The key to this dish is to get the zucchini at the desired tenderness. We had family members completely divided over the tenderness of the zucchini. Taste test by pulling up a zucchini from the edge and tasting. If additional time is needed, continue to simmer. If additional seasoning is needed, just sprinkle it over top of the zucchini without stirring.
- Flattening the Layer: The reason you are flattening the ingredients in the skillet serves 2 purposes. 1) It allows the water/broth to effectively sauté/simmer all the zucchini and 2) It creates a uniform, flat surface at the end to sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese Topping across the top for maximum coverage (hitting most of the zucchini with Parmesan yumminess).
- Sea Salt and Pepper: Our family was divided over if additional sea salt and/or black pepper were needed. We suggest using the amount in the recipe (or less), then adding additional sea salt and pepper to individual servings.
- Panko Crumbs: You can leave the panko crumbs out and skip broiling this dish under the broiler. Simple sprinkle 3 Tablespoons of Vegan Parmesan Cheese over top of the dish and serve.
*Panko Crumbs: We used Ian’s Gluten Free Panko crumbs for this recipe. Ian’s is oil-free but does contain a small amount of sugar in it. Ian’s is generally accepted by the Whole Food Plant Based Community. If you do not need to be gluten free, feel free to use any panko bread crumbs of your choosing.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 3 to 4
*Storage: Use within 5 days.