Fast and easy, this Simple Cranberry Sauce is perfectly sweetened, lightly tart, and has all your favorite holiday spices.
- 1 – [ 16 oz. package ] frozen cranberries (or fresh) *
- 2/3 cup water
- ½ cup + 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (+/-) *
- 1 – 2 teaspoons cinnamon (+/-) *
- 1/8 – ¼ teaspoon allspice (+/-) *
- Pinch – 1/8 teaspoon clove (+/-) *
- Place all the Cranberry Sauce ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 4 to 5 minutes (or longer) until all the cranberries have burst and the sauce thickens, then lower to a medium-low boil and boil for several minutes, mashing any remaining unburst cranberries with a fork or wooden spoon.
- Taste test for flavor, adjust as needed by adding more spices or maple syrup, then cook for several more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate.
*Flavor: As the sauce cools, the sweetness and spices will come to the forefront.
*Spices (allspice, cinnamon, clove): The beauty of this dish is that the spices can be easily adjusted to suit your own personal preferences. We strongly suggest starting on the low-end of the cinnamon amount and building up. There is a wide variation in cinnamons on the market. Some brands are intensely flavorful while others are mild and sweet.
*Maple Syrup: This is the exact amount that we enjoyed. However, feel free to start at a lower amount like 1/3 Cup and increase accordingly. You can always add more maple syrup, but you cannot take it away.
*Orange: Feel free to add orange juice and/or orange zest if you enjoy those flavors.
*Serving: Makes approximately 2 ½ cups of cranberry sauce
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.