Fast and fresh are on whole new level in this delicious Pasta alla Napolitana boasting a flavorful base of wholesome veggies and aromatic Italian herbs. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, and no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 small carrot, chunked
- 1 celery rib, chunked
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 – [ 14.5 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – [ 8 oz. can ] tomato sauce
- ½ cup vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 – 16 oz. GF pasta (or pasta of choice)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flakes) into a small bowl, mix well. Set aside.
- Fill a large stock pot full of water. Add some sea salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the pasta. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Boil the pasta according to package directions then rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside.
- In the meantime, make the Battuto by placing the onion, carrot, and celery into a food processor and pulse until everything is broken down into fine bits, almost paste like. Scrape down the sides of the food processor and pulse again to ensure that everything is super fine. Then place the Battuto into a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, Dutch oven, or non-stick skillet. Sauté the Battuto, stirring occasionally, until all the water has evaporated from the Battuto vegetables, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste to the skillet and sauté for one minute, stirring constantly. Then all the remaining Sauce Ingredients and the Spice/Herb mix to the skillet. Stir well to incorporate, then simmer on medium-low for 9 minutes.
- After 9 minutes, add the red pepper flakes and cooked pasta until the pasta is heated through.
- Serve, topped with a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Baking Soda: The baking soda is often used as a neutralizer for dishes that contain a lot of acidity, typically from tomatoes. We use it in this dish to remove some of the tomato acidity without losing the tomatoey flavor. When you add it, the mixture will bubble up, then settle down as it neutralizes the acidity.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 ½ to 5 cups
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.
*Nutrition Information: Does not include pasta.