These Old-Fashioned Spice Crumble Bars are a moist and delicious treat filled with fall spices, nuts, and topped with a tasty crumble that is sure to delight your family.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond flour, lightly packed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup date sugar *
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon *
- 1 ½ teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice *
- ½ teaspoon sea salt *
- 3 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup rolled oats, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon *
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup almond flour, slightly packed
- 3 Tablespoons date sugar *
- 3 Tablespoons cashew (or almond) butter
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt *
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk
Other Optional Ingredients:
- ½ to ¾ cup pecans (or walnuts), rough chop, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the oven rack in the center
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch square cake pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Make the Crumble Topping– Place ½ cup oats in a food processor to break them up, about 20 seconds. Then add all the remaining Crumble Topping ingredients to the food processor and process until well combined. The Crumble Topping should be “loose” but hold together when taking a small amount and pressing it into a ball – see notes. Pulse in half of the chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Place all the Cake Ingredients into a food processor, process for one minute or until everything has been blended.
- Place the batter into the parchment-lined cake pan, smooth out evenly.
- Spread the crumble topping evenly over the top of the cake batter, press slightly to adhere the topping to the batter – see notes. Top by sprinkling the other half of the chopped pecans over top of the Topping mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 to 32 minutes. Note: Place a piece of foil across the top of the cake at the 15-minute mark to prevent over-browning of the crumble.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for at least 45 minutes before serving.
- Run a thin-bladed sharp knife around the edges that were not covered by parchment paper to fully loosen the cake. Slice, serve, and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 9 bars