Simple, flavorful, and hearty, this Oil Free Whole Grain Focaccia Bread recipe is a comforting and healthy nod to traditional focaccia bread.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (10.5 oz.) *
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (8.2 oz.) *
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast *
- ½ to 2 teaspoons fine sea salt (+/-) *
- 1 ½ cups warm water (120 to 130F degrees)
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant yogurt *
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional) *
- Fresh or dried herbs (rosemary, Italian seasoning, etc.)
- Red onions, green onions, or shallots
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sundried tomatoes
- Slivered bell peppers
- Roasted garlic
- Large flake sea salt
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Place the flours, dry yeast, and sea salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the 1 ½ cups warm water, ¼ cup plant yogurt, and maple syrup and mix well with your hands until the dough starts to come together. While the dough is still in the bowl, start kneading the dough inside the mixing bowl to form a ball. At first the dough will seem too wet, but keep kneading, it will start to absorb the water, the stickiness will lessen, and the dough become easier to knead. Knead the dough inside the bowl for several minutes, then transfer the dough to a clean surface and continue to knead the dough for about 6 to 8 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Form a dough ball.
- Wash the bowl where the dough was kneaded. Place the dough ball inside, spray the top with a tiny mist of water. Cover with a tea towel (or plastic wrap) and let rest for 60 minutes or until doubled.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Place ¼ teaspoon of whole wheat pastry flour in the center of the parchment paper and rub the surface of the parchment paper with the flour. Set aside.
- After 60 minutes, punch the dough down and knead inside the bowl for 45 seconds, form a ball. Place onto the very lightly floured parchment paper (on the baking sheet) and press the dough out to an 8 x 12-inch rectangle (or oval). Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Place the rack on the lower bottom 3rd position in the oven.
- After 60 minutes of resting, poke and press your fingers all over the dough in random places.Before careful not to deflate the entire dough.
- Lightly mist the dough with water and sprinkle with seasonings and/or large flake sea salt. (Optional: If adding cherry tomatoes, press small cherry tomatoes in random places all around the surface. Do this before adding the seasonings. Press the tomatoes way down into the dough.
- Place in a preheated 425 F oven for 19 to 20 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 1 (8 x 12 inch) focaccia bread. About 12-15 small square servings.