Boasting sweet and spicy flavors with a hint of Southwestern flair, these Oil Free Spiced Nuts are crunchy, delicious goodness.
- 1 cup whole cashews *
- 1 cup pecan halves *
- 1 cup walnuts halves *
- 1 cup whole almonds *
- ¾ cup shelled pistachios *
- ½ cup shelled pumpkin seeds (raw pepitas) *
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch chili powder
- Pinch cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Dry Topping Ingredients:
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (+/-) *
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Review the type of nuts you have for this recipe. If the nut indicates “roasted”, then measure out the amount indicated in the recipe and place in a bowl, set aside, (these nuts will not go into the oven). If the nut indicates raw or unroasted, then measure out the amount indicated in the recipe and dump onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Do not place the pumpkin seeds (raw pepitas) on the parchment paper.
- Place the nuts in the oven to roast for 9 minutes.
- While the nuts are roasting, place all the Coating Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk well, set aside.
- While the nuts are roasting, place all the Dry Topping Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk well, set aside.
- After 9 minutes, remove the nuts from the oven, flip them around and place the pumpkin seeds onto the baking sheet at this time. Return to the oven to roast for another 9 to 10 minutes. Watch them very carefully near the end to prevent burning.
- In the meantime, while the nuts in the oven (after flipping) with only have a few minutes left, place a large skillet on the stove, place any nuts/seeds from the bowl that were previously identified as already roasted in Step 3 into the large skillet with the heat on low. Stir continuously to prevent burning.
- After the 2nd roasting, when the nuts/seeds come out of the oven, carefully dump the hot nuts/seeds into the skillet with the other nuts, stir. Increase the heat. Add the Coating Mixture to the skillet and stir constantly to coat all the nuts with the maple syrup mixture. Stir continuously until the coating has gotten very sticky and sticks to the nuts, about 3 to 4 minutes. You will note that the syrup (liquid) is no longer on the bottom of the skillet (only slight remnants coating the bottom).
- Turn off the heat from the stove but leave the skillet on the burner. Then sprinkle the Dry Topping Mix all over the nuts and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Then remove the skillet from the burner and dump the nuts onto the large baking sheet to cool (parchment paper removed).
- Allow to cool completely, then store in an air-tight container.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 5 ¼ cups