Creamy, wholesome, and satisfying, this Oil Free Italian White Bean Rice Soup is simple, low-fat, and full of delicious flavors.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 2 cups water
- 1 – [ 14.4 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 – [ 15 oz. cans ] Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (divided) *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano *
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil *
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings *
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup cooked rice (of choice) *
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock soup pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients (only add 1 of the 2 cans of Great Northern Beans) and Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, take a potato masher (or fork) and mash all the Great North beans right in the pot, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining can of Great Northern beans, distilled white vinegar, and ½ cup of cooked rice, stir well. Allow to simmer on low for a few minutes, evaluate if you wish to add more cooked rice. Add more, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.